Mobilicity Unlimited Internet Data Plan
Recently, I switched from Wind Mobile hi-speed mobile Internet service (called Infinite Laptop) to Mobilicity unlimited data stick plan. Today, I am going to share my insight on this switch as it will provide valuable information for some of you.
Why the Move?
I switched mainly for these reasons:
– Wind Mobile Infinite Laptop costs $55 per month, while Mobilicity Unlimited data stick plan costs $40 a month. With Mobilicity, after taxes, the savings comes close to $20 per month – which is hard to ignore.
– Wind Mobile’s network is very unreliable. I was never able to continuously connect to the Internet for very long. It always logged me out and I had to reconnect each time. On a typical day, there were instances when I had to reconnect 30-40 times. It’s hard to forget those frustrated moments.
– I called their customer support many times and they were unable to resolve disconnecting issues.
Do I Need To Buy A New Mobilicity Data Stick?
No, you can still use Wind Huawei E181 Data Stick on Mobilicity’s data stick plan. You only need to change some settings. I will tell you what to change at the end of this post.
Do You Have Any Complaints About Mobility Mobile Hi-Speed?
None so far. Since I switched from Wind Mobile, I am no longer getting disconnected every few minutes. However, Wind Mobile has better speed than Mobilicity. Read more on this here: Mobilicity Review
Do I Need To Unlock My Wind Huawei E181 Data Stick?
Yes, Huawei data stick has to be unlocked before using on Mobilicity’s network. There is a certain time restriction Wind Mobile has in place before unlocking the Huawei data stick. Once you pass their restricted period (I believe 3 months, but call Wind Mobile to find out), Wind Mobile will give you the unlocking code – they gave me mine without any hesitation.
What Settings Do I Need To Change On the Huawei E181 Data Stick To Work On Mobllicity?
Here we go:
1. Open Huawei Connect Manager on your desktop.
2. Click on Tools
3. Go to Options
4. Go to Profile Management
5. Click on New to create a new profile
6. Profile name Mobilicity (or anything you want)
7. Underneath Profile box, there is an APN box. Check off Static and put internet.davewireless.com in the box underneath Static.
8. Now click on Advanced tab and check off CHAP and PAP under Authentication Protocol Settings. Click OK.
9. Now save settings on Profile Management.
That should be it. You should be able to connect to Mobilicity network now.
What If I Am Still Not Able To Connect?
I suggest you visit a Mobilicity store. Mine did not work at first either, but a friendly rep at Mobilicity’s 3092 Danforth Ave. store succeeded with the above settings after trying for about 40 minutes.
More A Dawn Articles:
Real Estate In Cape Verde
A Dawn Journal January 2009 Archive